Fedora the right choice?

Wade Chandler wchandler at redesetgrow.com
Wed Mar 3 20:52:53 UTC 2004

George Lemos wrote:

> I am building a server to do several things. Host a simple website and web
> forum, host a voice communications utility, and run a multiplayer game
> server for about 20-25 people. FYI system specs P4 1.4ghz, 1GB ram. I can
> easily get this going on a windows server which is what I do for a living.
> But in an effort to force myself to learn and get more experience with Linux
> I would like to commit to running this box with Linux.
>
> Linux may use less of the boxes resources too.
>
> Is fedora the right choice for me? Will this distro of Linux get me to the
> level of success I am looking for? I'm planning on doing this the command
> line route all the way. I am assuming if I install this OS minus the GUI
> I'll have extra resources for the box to do its thing.
>
> As a Linux novice, anything I should know or look into, be aware of, etc
> that people on this list can recommend to me will be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
> /g

I use Fedora, an AMD 1Ghz CPU, and 500MB Ram to run a source control
server, web server with JSP/Java applications, ftp server, and Firebird
and MySQL database servers.  It handles the load quite well.  I also use
another machine as my work station.  My work station is a tri boot
Windows XP Professional, Fedora, and BEOS machine.  It spends more time
booted to Fedora.  As another user posted I turn the GUI off on my
server.  I use VNC to graphically manage my server when I need to.

Wade