Kickstart install

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Thu Mar 4 16:01:44 UTC 2004

I'm working on making a Fedora kickstart CD for a customer of mine who
is now running windows desktops.  I've sold them on it out, however, I
know that I have to make it easy enough for their people, who "know a
little about computers" (i.e. Windows) to actually install these units.
I will handle the linux server side.  These are to be X terminals into a
desktop running on the server.  Like I say, to sell then on this idea,
it's gotta be fast, easy, and not require me being involved in the
installation of each workstation.

I've created a kickstart CD which installs Fedora Core 1 with "X",
Gnome, and Printing Services as the only options.  It turns off all the
(many) unneeded services, messes with inittab a bit and reboots into a
remote X login from the server using DHCP  to get it's network address.

This rather minimal installation requires all 3 CDs.  I could have sworn
that I have done similar installations of Fedora and it only required 1,
or at most 2.  It was installing Japanese fonts and stuff from the 3rd
CD which are quite unnecessary for this installation.  I've confirmed
the software installation selections in the ks.cfg file.  About 1500MB
of stuff was installed.  Anyone know if ?maybe I'm making a silly
mistake somewhere?  Do I need gnome if all I want from it is the ability
to run redhat-config-printer in gui mode?  How can I trim this down?

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

-Steve Bergman