Kickstart install

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Thu Mar 4 21:22:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 11:19, Harry Hoffman wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> No, not if you just want to install en_US

Thanks, Harry.  That worked.  Installation is down to 1075MB and 2 CDs.
I don't think I'm going to get it down to 1 CD since I noticed X fonts
being installed from the second CD.  Also, I'm creating a user 'config'
that they can log into from VC2 which brings up a local gnome session
for configuration of the printer, etc. so I think that's about as small
as I'm going to easily get it.

The good news is I think my kickstart install is *almost* ready to take
on computer technician Tillie next week.

You put the CD in, turn the PC on, and in about 20 minutes it reboots
into a graphical login from the server.  They can CTRL-ALT-F2 and login
as 'config' to get a local gnome desktop on VC3 for configuring the
printer, screen resolution, etc. CTRL-ALT-F1 and they are back to the
remote session.

This kickstart stuff is pretty cool.  I wish I had discovered it sooner.

-Steve