Quest for linux supported Wireless

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 4 21:40:04 UTC 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, M.Hockings wrote:

> Gerry Doris wrote:
>
> >I've been trying to find a wireless solution that is supported under linux.
> >
> >D-Link flat out say their products aren't supported.  LinkSys said there
> >are 3rd party drivers that will work with their products but they wouldn't
> >recommend them.
> >
> >However, I see that NetGear do claim some of their products are supported
> >under linux.  I would appreciate anyone sharing their experience with
> >NetGear's products when using Fedora.  In particular, I'm interested in
> >their new 108MB/s WGT624 router and WG311T PCI card.
> >
> >If NetGear isn't supported then what are people using???

None of these guys support linux - so no point calling them and asking
for linux support. The thing to do is - findout which chipset is used
in the device - and try using the apporpriate dirver.

I have a ibm a/b mini-pci card - and I can use it with madwifi driver.
Internally it is a atheros chipset - and madwifi driver supports a
bunch of atheros chipset models.

I also have a very old lucent wavelan 'silver' pcmcia-card (prism2
chipset?) which works fine with wvlan_cs and orinoco_cs drivers.

I believe some of D-Link's a/b cards are atheros chipsets - and you
might have success with the madwifi driver. You might want to check
the maling lists for the following

http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/   (for atheros based cards)
http://prism54.org/supported_cards.php
http://hostap.epitest.fi/                  (for prism based cards)