Palm sync

Andrew Robinson awrobinson at cox.net
Fri Mar 5 01:25:23 UTC 2004

msjones773 wrote:

>> You need the usb-serial and visor modules loaded to use the pilot.  Have
>> you checked to see that they are available when you try to sync?
>>
>> -- -John (JohnThompson at new.rr.com) --__--__--
>>
> Well, I don't have a usb Visor so I didn't try that. What I did do was
> delete my /dev/palm file and start over. I logged in as root and typed
> into terminal: "ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/pilot" (without quotations).
> Then: chmod 666 /dev/ttyS0
> When I opened gnome pilot it instantly recognized my palm and synced to
> it. Then I logged out as root and logged in as user and tried. Gnome
> pilot recognized my palm and synced! I think my problem stemmed from the
> fact that the first time I tried to set it up I was logged in as user
> and opened a terminal and su to root. The second time I actually logged
> in as root. I guess that made the difference. Many things to learn as a
> newbie! Thanks for your help.
> Mark

When I first set up syncing with my Palm, I had some odd problems that
eventually seemed to go away. In other words, I got it working, but I'm
not sure what I did.

In the process, I discovered a command-line program that gave me more
information about what was happening: jpilot-sync. I found that useful
for resolving hot-syncing issues.

Andrew Robinson