How do you export an x-session in Fedora

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Fri Mar 5 14:48:22 UTC 2004

Edward Croft wrote:

>Okay, so you aren't the only one, Dima. It appears others have tried to
>do what you are trying to do.
>

>>Are you saying that he is trying to connect from fedora to his old
>>redhat 6.2 desktop?  If so, I recognize this problem.
>>
>>Unfortunately, I never solved it.  Trying to connmect from X servers
>>running on later Linuxes to a 6.2 machine gives this behavior.  I think
>>it has to do with Xfree86 3.x vs 4.x, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>I still have a 6.2 server running at a client site.  I'll see it I can
>>glean any new info.
>>
>>-Steve

OK.  I can still reproduce the problem.  An strace shows that this is
where the problem occurs:

23605 connect(4, {sin_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(6010),
sin_addr=inet_addr("127.0.0.1")}}, 16) = -1 ECONNREFUSED (Connection
refused)

Note that the only way I can get to this machine is via ssh,  so the
display variable is set to localhost:10.0 .

I just got up and my mind is still to cloudy to remember how the ssh
forwarding works or make sense of what the connect to localhost means in
this context.  Someone else wanna try while I try to resucutate my
brain? ;-)

-Steve