Cable modem help

Aaron Matteson fedora at cryptosystem.us
Sat Mar 6 11:18:11 UTC 2004

Srinivasan S became daring and sent these 3.7K bytes,
> Recently I attached a cable modem to the m/c and set it up as below :
>
> Settings on eth0: (local n/w)
> eth0 is connected to the local network and runs Samba and DHCPD (on eth0 only).  Set to a static IP of 192.168.1.1
>
> Settings on eth1 : (Motorola 5100 Surfboard cable modem)
> Automatically obtain IP address settings with dhcp
> DHCP Settings : Hostname is empty and Automatically obtain DNS is unchecked and Hardware is bound to the proper MAC address
>
> When I try to activate the eth1 interface it fails.  An ifconfig on eth1 returns the following output :

I recently engaged this exact problem exc. with a WinXP machine. How i
solved it was to grab the IP/dns server addresses by hand from the WinXP
machine and enter them statically to the linux box. This can be done
because you are getting a static address anyways, the DHCP server is
just a formality to make things easier.

Just enter the ip addy, subnet and the gateway manually, then add the
dns servers to /etc/resolv.conf then powerdown the modem then power it
back up (not from the soft shutdown button on the top of the modem, just
pull the plug and put it back in) and you should be set.

This is what i had to do, given you are having the same issue as i had,
i suspect this should resolve your problem.

--
   /\o   Aaron M Matteson - http://cryptosystem.us
    /\/