more samba woes (was:fedora-list digest, Vol 1 #1205 - 32 msgs)

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Mar 6 11:28:28 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 06.03.2004 schrieb Chris Botha um 09:45:

>   If you're editing the configuration files by hand, don't. Use samba-swat
>   and be happy :-)
>
>   --
>   []s
>
>   Alexandre Ganso
>   500 FOUR vermelha - Diretor Steel Goose Moto Group

> Ok you said that i should not edit samba.conf directly, I ubderstand that but tell me how do
>  you do that through SSH, look i do not have space for a monitor and a keybourd at my server
>  so i have to run it remotely.
>
> Got some other sugestions. I do not have a huge server room that i do my things in.
>
> But thanks for your advice i wish i could go that way.

Hi,

it is ok to edit smb.conf by hand. I do it the same. You can only run
into pitfalls if you manually edit configuration files and use a tool to
configure a service like samba.

If you edit smb.conf by hand you should certainly know what each setting
you activate does mean/involve.

Not being experienced with samba and only having remote hand on the
server you may consider using tools like swat or webmin. Both offer you
a GUI through browser access. While swat is especially a service for
configuring samba - see samba-swat package - webmin is a tool which
offers you to configure a lot more services (www.webmin.com).

Alexander

P.S. Please do not use your digest mail topic to post to the list in
future. Thanks.

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 12:21:16 up 15 days, 13:54, load average: 0.03, 0.08, 0.04
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]