Problem with Maxtor ATA card

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Mar 7 17:10:52 UTC 2004

Am So, den 07.03.2004 schrieb Atrus um 09:15:
> Hi everyone
>

> Ok, after a couple of days of searching google, usenet, etc. I am
> offically stuck.
>
> A little background info first:
> I have 5 ide devices. hda, hdb, hdc, and hdd are on the motherboard's
> IDE controler. The fifth device, hde, was a Maxtor drive hung off of an
> Adaptec 1200A IDE card. Since there is only on disk connected to this
> card, ther is no raid involved. This is a dual boot system where hda is
> XXXindows, hdb is Fedora Core, hdc and hdd are CD-ROMS, and hde is a
> shared drive between the 2 OS's.
>
> Now everything was just peachy until the Adaptec card Bombed on me. I
> had a spare Maxtor Ultra 133 card that I replaced it with. If the maxtor
> card is installed, regardless of whether I have a disk attatched or not.
> Fedora fails to boot. It gives a Kernel Panic: no init found. Remove the
> card, Fedora Boots fine.
>
> Help please

I bet the IDE devices through the new Maxtor controller card becomes
first detected devices and thus collides with previous device order. Two
possibilities: a) try to change the device order through BIOS setting
(if that is possible), on board controllers have to be primary b) change
devices in /etc/grub.conf and /etc/fstab to fit with new controller
order.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 18:08:16 up 16 days, 19:41, load average: 1.02, 1.09, 1.08
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]