Problem with Maxtor ATA card

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Mar 7 20:52:31 UTC 2004

Am So, den 07.03.2004 schrieb Atrus um 21:20:

> Thanks for the reply. I found via google that the Maxtor card has a bad
> habit of switching the order that the IDE drives are detected. The
> motherboards BIOS settings are correct: my 1st hard drive is hda, etc.
> There is no way to change the settings on the Maxtor card. So, I figure
> that the Maxtor card is flat overriding the motherboard's BIOS. I then
> pull out my handy Fedora CD to boot into linux rescue to make changes to
> lilo.conf and/or /etc/fstab. After I boot, all my devices are in the
> correct order?!

The devices will be in the new, changed order, but your installed FC1
will know where which parts are to be found.

> Is there a way to boot and find how pivot_root is mounting devices and
> make any heeded changes there?
>
> Since the fedora CD detected everything correctly, will a reinstall of
> fedora put everything back in check.

You already booted into rescue mode using the CD 1 and found all drives
and their previous place? I would wonder if so.

Of course you could reinstall. But I would recommend editing
grub.conf/lilo.conf and fstab (including rewriting the bootloader).

> Again, Thanks immensely for your help!
>
> Atrus

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 21:48:53 up 16 days, 23:22, load average: 1.03, 1.03, 1.07
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]