Creating new Installer Disk with custom kernel HOWTO

Juergen Vigna jug at lyx.org
Mon Mar 8 08:58:16 UTC 2004

Hello,

I have a problem that my VIA 6410 IDE chip is not seen by the installer
disk of Fedora Core 1. There is a really easy patch to this for the ide
driver of the kernel and I already verified that it works. Now I have
the problem that I would have to integrate this patch into the kernel
used to boot from the CD1 of Fedora Core 1.

Is there some documentation or HOWTO somewhere which explains how to
recreate this CD with a new custom kernel? I tried but failed. It
boots now the new kernel and I see the disks attached to the VIA chip
but then when it wants to load the modules it tells me that the cpio
format is not correct :(

Hope someone here can give me a tip. Or maybe your interested in adding
this small patch to the Fedora Kernel? ;P

Thanks,

             Jürgen
Würth Phoenix S.r.l.
Dr. Jürgen Vigna