RPM packages: Athlon vs i686 vs i386

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Mar 8 11:36:37 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 08.03.2004 schrieb Don Dixon um 03:54:
> Greetings,
>
> I recently submitted what I thought was a bug to bubzilla concerning CPU
> detection and FC1.  The bugzilla number is 116941 if anyone is
> interested in reading in detail.  The basic problem is that I have an
> Athlon XP 1600+ CPU, yet when I boot to the CLI, it says:
>
> Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow)
> Kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl on an i686
>
> This exact same hardware, until recently was running RH7.3 and it booted
> to the CLI identifying itself as athlon.  That was the reason I thought
> it was a bug.  On bugzilla, the report has been closed with:
>
> "athlon is always a i686 for the kernel"

That's absolutely right. See the output of "uname -a".

> So, what I am now wondering about is updates.  I need to know which
> level of RPM packages to
> load.  For instance with kernels, would I choose
> kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.athlon.rpm or
> kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.i686.rpm?  And with glibc, do I choose
> glibc-2.3.2-101.4.i686.rpm
> or glibc-2.3.2-101.4.i386.rpm.

For the kernel choose .nptl.athlon.rpm update packages. For glibc and
openssl choose i686 RPMs.

If you use yum or up2date to keep your system up to date there is no
need to care for that. The update process will choose the right
packages.

> Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Don

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 12:33:54 up 17 days, 14:07, load average: 0.15, 0.16, 0.08
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]