RPM packages: Athlon vs i686 vs i386

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 8 15:08:51 UTC 2004

Don Dixon said:
>On bugzilla, the report has been closed with:
>
> "athlon is always a i686 for the kernel"

True, the kernel reports it as a i686.  If you want to know what package
is installed use:

rpm -q --queryformat '%{NAME} %{VERSION} %{ARCH}\n' kernel

> So, what I am now wondering about is updates.  I need to know which
> level of RPM packages to
> load.  For instance with kernels, would I choose
> kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.athlon.rpm or
> kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.i686.rpm?

If you have an athlon, use the athlon.  That is the best fit.  As others
have posted it is a non-issue for the 2.6 series.

> And with glibc, do I choose
> glibc-2.3.2-101.4.i686.rpm
> or glibc-2.3.2-101.4.i386.rpm.

Again, best fit, so use the i686 one.  You can use the above command to
find what glibc you have installed too.  Just change "kernel" to "glibc".

> Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Use a dep solver (yum, up2date, etc.) and it will take care of the issue
for you.

--
William Hooper