renovate partitions without reinstalling

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Mon Mar 8 18:20:40 UTC 2004

On Monday 08 March 2004 11:32 am, dballester at kernpharma.com wrote:
> Hi:
>
>       Well, well, well... welcome to the freedoom club ;)
>
> Supousing that you will delete your windows partitions, here is what i
> could do:
>
> (In general, if you think that's good, let me know to explain in detail)

Well, it sounds pretty good, but I think it would be a good idea to let the
thread continue for a few days, in case anybody else cares to comment.  :-)

>       Backup your important data from windows to linux ( docs,
> spreadsheets, music, images, etc...).

Nothing to do here.

>       Delete partitions in /dev/hda ( windows disk )
>
>       Swap disks physicaly ( windows disk ( 20Gb ) will be at /dev/hdc and
> linux disk will be at /dev/hda )

I prefer not to do this.  I was really wanting to use the 40GB drive
(/dev/hdc) for storage rather than the os.

>       Boot machine with Fedora Disk1, in rescue mode.
>
>       When prompted to mount your system under /mnt/sysimage respond yes.
> Then execute 'chroot /mnt/sysimage'. ( I don't remember if it's sysimage or
> another name...)
>
>       Edit /etc/fstab. References to /dev/hdc must point now to /dev/hda.

How do I deal with the LABEL tag?

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot          /boot                ext3    defaults        1 2

>       Edit /boot/grub/grub.conf. Delete lines corresponding to windows.
> References to hd2 will point now to hd0
>
>       Save file.
>
>       Execute grub-install
>
>       Exit from chroot.
>
>       Reboot.
>
>       You have your fedora working from /dev/hda.
>
>       Now, the funny steps :
>       =======================
>
>       Shutdown -r now
>
>       Startup with single mode

Hold it...am I starting up from the rescue disk or from the hard disk?

>       We will use logical volumes, with them, we will expand our disks more
> easily in the future.

I don't understand why I would want to do that.
I definitly will not be adding any more hard disks to this computer, I've
never felt a need to create logical volumes before, and I've been using Linux
off and on since RH 6.2.

>       Create partition for swap in /dev/hdc ( space can be  1 x RAM ),
> create 1 partition of ext3 type in /dev/hdc for /tmp partition and create 1
> LVM partition for /home. ( be sure to left 1-1,5 Gb free without
> partitioning )

How can I determine the size of my current swap partition?
Device      Boot Start       End       Blocks      Id   System
/dev/hdc3         75466     77545   1048320   82  Linux swap

Why would I want to leave 1-1.5 GB free space?

>       swap on /dev/hdc/<swap_partition>
>
>       Configure LVM to make 1 physical volume, and assign all space in this
> partition for /home with ext3.
>
>       mkdir /mnt/new_home
>
>       Format /dev/hdc/<tmp_partition> with ext3.
>
>       mount /dev/hdc/<lvm_home> /mnt/new_home
>
>       cp -pRH /home/* /mnt/new_home
>
>       mv /home /old_home

mv /mnt/new_home /home ????