renovate partitions without reinstalling

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Mon Mar 8 19:27:03 UTC 2004

On Monday 08 March 2004 12:54 pm, thedogfarted wrote:
> When i moved from rh9 to fc1 and wanted to shrink windows partition i
> took a less 'funny' approach ???easier???
>
> i booted from disk 1 in rescue mode, launched parted. I had already made
> my ntfs partiotion two times smaller with BootIt NG but as you want to
> get rid of your ntfs completely, there should be no problems with that :)
>
> write '/dev/hda' (without quotes), that will select your ntfs disk
>
> delete ntfs partition: 'rm 1'
>
> the biggest problem is that you want to have your / and /boot partition
> on hda - we need to move them from one disk to other, but they could be
> ext3 partitions and parted doesn't support ext3 (although the manual
> says it does)

They are indeed ext3 partitions.

> make desired partitions on hda. if you want ext3 partiotions, use mkpart
> command instead of mkpartfs, exit parted and use mkfs.ext3 command on
> that partition, that will format it as ext3
>
> partitions are created, now the hardest part - copying
>
> if they are ext2, you can use cp command within parted: 'cp /dev/hdc 1
> 1' if hdc1 is /boot and it fits in hda1
>
> in case of / and if you have ext3 partitions (as i do), you'll have to
> copy them manually (i suppose you want to keep /home on hdc)
>
> exit form parted, mount both source and destination partitions, and use
> ordinary cp command to copy files from one partition to other (you can
> use mv instead of cp but i prefer cp - in case that smthing goes wrong
> data isn't lost)

Ummm...I thought we mounted filesystems rather than partitions...?
Could you show me an example of how to mount a partition while in rescue mode,
please?

> now that you have copied all the files you wanted to reside on hda
> (probably all /boot partition and / without /home and /tmp) do what you
> want with hdc - probably move files that /home is instead of previous /
> etc and then edit grub.conf and fstab, it could look like this

Stop...I'm lost.
I was with you until we started moving "files that /home is..."
I must not be reading correctly, it doesn't make sense.  :-)