New mailing list: fedora-selinux

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Mon Mar 8 19:45:39 UTC 2004

Jeff Vian wrote:

> My point was that everyone should have enough initiative that, if they
> are even slightly interested in the topic, they will at least spend a
> few seconds to research the topic. A few seconds spent checking
> available resources will educate them greatly and then they can ask
> better questions and learn even more. Or they can decide they are not
> interested and leave it alone, with or without the time spent checking.

And that's a valid point.  The counterpoint, however, is that if all
that's provided is a package name (or name and changelog) there's no
real way for people to even know that they'd be slightly interested.

If I see a post that a new 'mootastic' package now ready and fully FC1
compatible, I don't know if mootastic is a word processor, USB
framework, music manager, or a game where you shoot cows out of cannons.

Even if I'm interested in new USB frameworks, and would investigate
further when any such package was announced, I don't have the time to
investigate every random package that might possibly be something
interesting, yet it would be a shame for people to not know that
something might be out there that solves a problem they have just
because it didn't sound relevant based on the provided name.

Package announcements -should- contain just enough information for us to
be able to make a reasonable decision about whether or not the package
is interesting or relevant to us individually. After that, it's our
responsibility (as you point out) to look into it further before asking
random questions.