USB Modem

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Mar 8 20:05:39 UTC 2004

Chadley Wilson wrote:
> Hi Guys
> Probably a silly question.
> I have a USB Modem and I just cant get it right
> I am running 2.4 kernel.
> All of my usb devices work perfectly.
> The hardware browser does detect the modem but the driver field is
> listed as unknown.
> Does this mean I still have to install the driver?

Virtually all USB-based modems are "winmodems" meaning that they require
a driver to make them work (they're really not modems but simply an
interface between the software drivers and the phone line).

Unless you can find a driver at www.linmodems.org or a site it aims
you at, you're out of luck.  If I were you, I'd spend the $20 and get a
real serial modem.  Guaranteed to work on anything that has an RS232
serial port (including USB->serial dongles via the standard usb-serial
module if you must have USB).
-               If the enemy's in range...so are you!                -