SMP not booting from rh9 - nor fedora core 1

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Mar 8 20:10:04 UTC 2004

Colin Burgess wrote:
> Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, still no joy.  The grub args were
>
> kernel /vmlinux-2.4.22-1.2174.nptlsmp ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb acpi=off

Try:

kernel /vmlinux-2.4.22-1.2174.nptlsmp ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb noapic
                                                            ^^^^^^
APIC and ACPI are not the same thing.  You want to disable the APIC,
not ACPI (which controls power management), although you may still need
to disable ACPI (some BIOSes are weird), in which case the end of your
line is:

     noapic acpi=off

> and it still hung in the same place.  The last line looked like...

> and then nothing.
>

> Samuel Flory wrote:
>
>> Colin Burgess wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Rotariu,
>>>
>>> I tried disabling the video shadow, but still no go. :v(
>>>
>>> Mostly it hangs right after having said something about configuring
>>> the APIC timer.
>>>

>>   Try adding acpi=off to your kernel command line.

-      We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.     -