Where is my CD-R?

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Tue Mar 9 04:03:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 22:04, Jeff Vian wrote:
> Paulus Tamba wrote:

> > Don Levey wrote:
> > | OK, I know it's probably a silly question, but here goes:
> > | How can I determine which device is my CD burner?
> > | I'm trying to use k3b, gnometoaster, or xcdroast.  None of them seem to
> > | recognise that I've got a burner in the machine.  I'm sure there's a
> > | simple command to find this, but I don't know what it is.
> > |
> > | TIA,
> > |  -Don
> > |

> If you are on FC1 or one of the earlier RH distros, the cd burner should
> be running under the ide-scsi module.
>
> use lsmod to see if ide-scsi is loaded.

Yep, I'm on FC1, with a compiled 2.6.3 kernel.  The ide-scsi is in fact
loaded.  I'm not quite sure what I changed, but I can occasionally see
the device in random programs.  It seems to be identified as /dev/sd0 or
/dev/scd0.

> If it is, see what it is called.  " dmesg | grep sd " (it should be sd0
> or sd1 depending on whether you have one or more devices running under
> ide-scsi, or if you are running other scsi devices as well).
> Or use dmesg and view the output or view /var/log/message to see what
> the system identified it as.

The problem seems to be the following error:
ide-scsi: The scsi wants to send us more data than expected - discarding
data

This seems to be a problem with the setup of the drive, though until I
tried burning CDs it was working OK.  It's a Samsung, per cdrecord
-scanbus:

	scsibus0:
	     0,0,0     0) 'SAMSUNG ' 'CDRW/DVD SM-352B' 'T807' Removable
	     CD-ROM
I'm not doing well at the moment (killer cold) so I'll search more on
that error tomorrow.

> Then xcdroast should see it automatically, or you can use "cdrecord
> -scanbus" to identify the exact device for use.
>
> If the module ide-scsi is not loaded then the burners won't see it.

Thanks for the help,
 -Don