SMP not booting from rh9 - nor fedora core 1

Wolfgang wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Tue Mar 9 11:08:24 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 06:31, Colin Burgess wrote:
> Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, still no joy.  The grub args were
>
> kernel /vmlinux-2.4.22-1.2174.nptlsmp ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb acpi=off
>
> and it still hung in the same place.  The last line looked like...
>
> CPU0<T0:....,T1:...,D:14,S:.....,C:....>
>
> and then nothing.
>

> Samuel Flory wrote:
> > Colin Burgess wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks Rotariu,
> >>
> >> I tried disabling the video shadow, but still no go. :v(
> >>
> >> Mostly it hangs right after having said something about configuring
> >> the APIC timer.
> >>

> >   Try adding acpi=off to your kernel command line.
[snip]

I would suggest updating the BIOS. AND/OR, changing the MP level from
1.4 to 1.1 in the BIOS. I'm running 3 Dual CPU (AMD's) systems here with
FC1, and no problems at all. Unless you don't have many devices
connected to your system (Video, Sound, USB, Firewire, etc) then just
disabling the APIC from the Grub line will help. But if you run heaps of
devices, then I suggest to update the BIOS. The APIC controller simply
expands you IRQ's (Most systems I've seen it adds four extra IRQ's, and
others as required). So that the IRQ sharing is at a minimum, as some
devices don't like the IRQ addresses to be shared with other devices.

Wolf