USB Modem

Steve Berry stevejberry at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 9 13:13:43 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 15:11, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 21:19, Steve Berry wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 14:20, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> > > Hi Guys
> > > Probably a silly question.
> > > I have a USB Modem and I just cant get it right
> > > I am running 2.4 kernel.
> > > All of my usb devices work perfectly.
> > > The hardware browser does detect the modem but the driver field is
> > > listed as unknown.
> > > Does this mean I still have to install the driver?
> > >
> > > Chad
> > >

> > is it really a modem, or does it require drivers in windows to "become a
> > modem like device"
> >

> It requires a driver in windows.

Check on www.linmodems.com like rick mentioned, if there's nothing
available for that hardware, then it's useless in linux.

There's a few websites that describe what winmodems are, and why they
are decent for windows, crappy for os's that don't WANT to emulate
hardware like linux.

Personally, I wouldnt buy a 20$ pci modem, because if you don't know
exactly what your getting, you may find that you just bought another win
modem.

And since a lot of motherboards these days don't support ISA anymore.

Your best bet is a Serial External Modem.

Ya know, plug it into a serial port with a cable that you buy extra
(some come with the cable, not all)

The reasons I would go with an External Modem.

They use a pre-existing com-port and are configurable within the bios.
enable/disable in bios. real simple.

Blinky Lights -

If your an uber geek, Blinky lights can make or break you in the world
of "what's cool and whats not"

If you got 4000 blinkin lights around your computer, Man that's Wicked
cool!.