Fedora support etiquette, need suggestions

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Mar 9 13:40:15 UTC 2004

Aaron Matteson wrote:

>Andrew Robinson became daring and sent these 0.7K bytes,
>

>>Aaron Matteson wrote:
>>

>>>Second, i would like to use my previous post to point out that
>>>perhaps
>>>there needs to be a manifesto of sorts to show people where and how
>>>look for desired information. I would not mind undertaking this task
>>>with
>>>the help of oen or two others using the standard fedora/redhat
>>>documentation methods.
>>>
>>>Anyone up for this task besides me?
>>>

>>Aaron, since I swung the stick that stirred up this hornet's nest, I
>>would be happy to help out. Since I'm not a developer, I may require
>>some, uh, hand holding. Please contact me at awrobinson at cox.net.
>>
>>Andrew Robinson
>>

>Started new thread for this.
>
>Ok, i have begun to draw up a list of things i feel should be included
>in this document in terms of where to look for information, how to look
>for it and proper etiquete for asking for help or pointers. Most people
>do not seem to have the problem of asking for information, but i feel
>there should at least be some examples of how this shouldideally take
>place. This seems kind of odd to me, so i am trying to put all this in a
>way that will not riffle some feathers.
>
>So far what i have had time to think of is this:
>
>Information to include in a query:
>*The problem
>*What is the exact text of the error
>*What you expect in terms of a solution
>        **Pointers, nudge in the right direction etc.
>
>How such a query should be handled:
>*Nudge in the right direction
>*At the very least a link to bugzilla
>*If it is simple enouph just tell how to fix it
>*There is much to be said for researching a problem for ones self, so i
>do not think every situation demands a solution as to an explaination of
>the given issue.
>
>This will no doubt go through a dozen or more revisions before it see's
>the light of day for the sake of tact.
>
>What i guess i am trying to write here is more of a manifesto-handbook
>for asking for help and giving help in a way that would be most productive.
>
>What i am asking this list is for people to list how they think they
>best like questions and likewise how to make an answer more appealing.
>You all see what i am trying to get at, any input and suggestions would
>be very helpful and appriciated. Also, what where some of the most
>positive experiences dealing with community support everyone has had?
>What methods have you found best for dealing with people needing help,
>but at the same time not doing everything for them?

The guidelines need to be sent to every new user registering on this
list, and periodically after that as a reminder.

Tell people to make at least a minimal effort to find their own answer
before they ask, and include common sources for information, such as
www.tldp.org.  This will let them know they are responsible for their
own  system and guide them so those answering their questions do not
have to start with a total zero of information.

The question needs to include much needed information about the users
configuration.  Release, kernel, details on what has been done so far,
etc.

    A perfect example is one that was answered today.  The user is on
FC1 but has installed the 2.6.3 kernel and that changes the answer for
his question completely.  He did not provide that information and 4
answers were posted before it became obvious that he had a different
than espected kernel so the effort to help was wasted.

Then add on the detailed problem with error messages if appropriate and
a detailed, specific question.

For those helping, provide pointers to the location of the answer (or if
simple the actual answer).  URLs are nice if available.   Also provide a
reason why you used your solution. There are many ways to get the same
result, and your reasoning for making your choice will help educate.