Inspiron 510m & i855

Aaron Matteson fedora at cryptosystem.us
Tue Mar 9 21:43:11 UTC 2004

Alexander Ruoff became daring and sent these 1.4K bytes,
> Just have a question...
>
> I do have some problems with my Inspiron 510m and Linux.
>
> FC1 gives me the "greenscreen", FC2tr1 has the same problem and thus I
> tried it with SuSE where I get only 640x instead of 1024x.
>
> I found some websites which explained various ways to fix this problem
> of the Bios, but all I managed to do was preventing the laptop from
> crashing when I test the screen.

You no doubt discovers the Dell BIOS issue with settign the video
memory. I kind of explained this and offered a solution in
fedoraforums.org forum. So to avoid reiterating it all here is the link:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=256 post is
second from the last at the time of the email.

> Once, I managed to test it on 1024 but after the reboot, I am still
> stuck with 640. But now, the PC gives me only vga driver instead of the
> i855. I tried various patches (maybe one to much?) but except that X
> seems to be more stable, all I get is the following error message:

There is an RPM you can download that will start at boot that will set
the correct amount of video memory at boot as descibed within the link
in the link above (redundant? you bet) :).

http://projects.nudieman.com/500m/

> X-Server-Test fehlgeschlagen
>
> (ww) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such device)
> (KK) No driver available

Inspiron line no longer uses APM, it is all ACPI which is quite an
improvement but linux support for it is still young. So to use ACPI
support amend the kernel line in /etc/grub.conf like this:

--
default=0
timeout=10

See the acpi=on amendment? After that reboot and you should be good to
go.