Can't shut down

Victor M.J. Ryden vmjr at panix.com
Wed Mar 10 00:22:24 UTC 2004

I'd like to see if I can solve this, since installing under VMware was a bear.

Fedora starts up, only errors shown are
1) right after "Welcome to Fedora Core" it complains twice about /initrd
not being mounted
2) doesn't like VMtools

If I login and issue a "shutdown now", it starts ending process's and then:

Telling INIT to go to Single User Mode
INIT: going single user
INIT: sending processes the TERM Signal
SH-2.05b#

and I'm back at the prompt, not shut down??

ps -aux shows a bunch of  [k*] processes, two INIT [S] processes,
vmware-tools, anacron -s, minilogd,  and /bin/sh running.

My only kluge is to do a reboot and then power off when it starts to reboot
the "pc"

Any ideas??