MS Intellimice optical 'shutting down' anyone?

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Wed Mar 10 04:54:14 UTC 2004

Andre Costa wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've been experiencing lately some weird mouse behavior: all of a
>sudden, mouse simply goes off, and even though X11 remains responsive
>(keyboard works), it usually leaves me no option besides killing X11
>with CTRL+ALT+BKSP -- which often makes me lose some work. Restarting X
>brings mouse back up again, as if nothing had happened.
>
>Mouse is MS IntelliMouse Wheel Optical, graphics board is a GeForce4
>Ti4200, XFree is latest version (4.3.0-55), NVidia drivers are also
>latest (5336).

I had the same problem with my MS cordless Intellimouse. It started soon
after the XFree86 upgrade. I could press the transmitter and the mouse
reset buttons, and it would come back for a while, then hang. Sometimes
it would come back on its own. I replaced it with a corded Logitech
Optical Mouse, and it has been rock solid for over a week. I have an ATI
Radeon, and I'm using the standard XFree86 driver.