Multiple yum - How?

Tom Needs a Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 10 09:07:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:53:31AM -0300, Alexandre de Abreu wrote:
> GianPiero Puccioni wrote:

> >I have to set up ten similar machines with Fedora and I'd like to use
> >yum for updates and stuff, as doing it independently on every machine is
> >stupid I'd like to use one as "master" and and get the stuff from that
> >one, but what is the best strategy?

> Take a look at this article I've wrote for FedoraNEWS website:
>
> "Creating a local yum repository"
> http://fedoranews.org/alex/tutorial/yum/

Optionally it may be quicker to setup and lightly tune a squid proxy.
Make sure it caches things as small as the small hdr files and as
large as the largest package (today 66874242 bytes for
XFree86-4.3.0-55.src.rpm)

     Yum...  Proxy configuration
      If you would like to use a proxy with yum you can simply  set  a
      shell  environment variable of http_proxy. Set it to the url for
      your proxy.  Ex: "http://your_proxy:port/"

The second update via the same proxy  will fetch cached objects.
Since your machines are similar (not identical) this may work and
minimize the pain of not having exactly the right packages handy in
the local repository.

Note that if you have multiple resources configured for yum or up2date
all will be visited on the net.  Thus your local yum distribution
should be the only place for the fastest updates.  If you list "out
on the net" repositories squid will help.

Yes, Yes, Yes, A local repository is good to have.  As you clean out
the local duplicated rpm files collect them in one yumable place for
updates after the cache expires.

When my favorite mirror is overloaded and a package get fails I wait
some 20 min and try again.  The headers arrive Oh so quickly from the
proxy without really touching the mirror and I pick up almost exactly
where I left off.

This proxy trick helps for 1 or more machines if you have the disk space.
i.e. it helps update the first machine perhaps as much as the last.

It can also be good to have multiple yum config files...
   yum -c /usr/local/yum-config-use-only-local update

There are other values in a caching proxy so this is good to do.

--
   T o m   M i t c h e l l