MS Intellimice optical 'shutting down' anyone?

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Mar 10 12:15:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:08:50AM -0300, Andre Costa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been experiencing lately some weird mouse behavior: all of a
> sudden, mouse simply goes off, and even though X11 remains responsive
> (keyboard works), it usually leaves me no option besides killing X11
> with CTRL+ALT+BKSP -- which often makes me lose some work. Restarting X
> brings mouse back up again, as if nothing had happened.

Is this a USB mouse?

I'm using a MS optical mouse on the USB port and a small number of times
it has just quit working. (Note: I'm still using it on RH72, not FC1)
AFter some experimentation I found that I could run:

(/usr/local/bin/fixmouse)
	#!/bin/sh
	echo You must be root to do this\!
	rmmod usb-uhci
	modprobe usb-uhci

and the mouse would come back to life.

It tends to happen only when I'm playing some games (shoot-em-ups, e.g.)
that requite a LOT of mouse activity.