MS Intellimice optical 'shutting down' anyone?

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Wed Mar 10 13:42:29 UTC 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 07:15:45 -0500
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:08:50AM -0300, Andre Costa wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been experiencing lately some weird mouse behavior: all of a
> > sudden, mouse simply goes off, and even though X11 remains
> > responsive(keyboard works), it usually leaves me no option besides
> > killing X11 with CTRL+ALT+BKSP -- which often makes me lose some
> > work. Restarting X brings mouse back up again, as if nothing had
> > happened.
>
> Is this a USB mouse?

It is a USB mouse, but I am using it as a PS/2 mouse. Sorry for not
making it clear before.

> I'm using a MS optical mouse on the USB port and a small number of
> times it has just quit working. (Note: I'm still using it on RH72, not
> FC1) AFter some experimentation I found that I could run:
>
> (/usr/local/bin/fixmouse)
> 	#!/bin/sh
> 	echo You must be root to do this\!
> 	rmmod usb-uhci
> 	modprobe usb-uhci
>
> and the mouse would come back to life.

Cool. This won't help on my case, but it's definitely valuable info.

> It tends to happen only when I'm playing some games (shoot-em-ups,
> e.g.) that requite a LOT of mouse activity.

On my case, I haven't been able to detect a pattern. It does seem to
happen more frequently when mouse activity is intense (like playing
UT2004 demo), but it happened many times while I was doing usual desktop
interaction.

Best,

Andre

--