Why FC-2?

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Wed Mar 10 17:32:18 UTC 2004

On Mar 10, 2004 at 15:01, Timothy Murphy in a soothing rage wrote:

>Elliot Lee wrote:
>
>> SELinux and the 2.6 kernel mean that there are a lot of misc fixups that
>> need to be done while upgrading via anaconda.
>
>I'm running 2.6.3 under Fedora-1,
>and didn't find any need for "a lot of misc fixups".
>I just compiled the vanilla kernel.
>(I've never understood why this is not standard.
>I don't particularly want to use someone else's choice of modules.)
These are mainly from SELinux. And if the FC ppl decide to add
drivers and modules to the kernel to support other ppls hardware,
we should thank them. For one day we may have such hardware ourselves.

>Admittedly I had to compile module-init-tools,
>but as far as I could see there isn't a Fedora RPM for this anyway.
FC does not need this. All you need is the modutils from Arjanv
repository (http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/).

>I can see that a new distribution is sometimes essential,
>eg if there is an incompatible change in the C library.
FC2 is essential as when SELinux is properly implemented,
it will to a much more secure Linux.

N.Emile...
Elwood:  What kind of music do you get here ma'am?
Barmaid: Why, we get both kinds of music, Country and Western.
 12:17:59  up 97 days, 17:05,  4 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.01, 0.00