samba Problem

Ryan Duff ryan at duff-duff.net
Wed Mar 10 20:09:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:38:45 +0100, Alexander Dalloz <alexander.dalloz at uni-
bielefeld.de> wrote:

> Am Mi, den 10.03.2004 schrieb Mario St-Gelais um 15:57:
>
>> >The different SMB machines fight for being the local master browser.
>> >Configure that machine which is most often on, has most uptime to be
>> the
>> >local master. For Samba machines see smb.conf and how to control the
>> >behaviour with:
>> >
>> ># Browser Control Options:
>> ># set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
>> ># browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
>> >;   local master = no
>> >   ># OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master
>> browser
>> ># elections. The default value should be reasonable
>> >;   os level = 33
>> >
>> >Alexander
>
>> I have a similar problem.  In my case, my linux keeps fighting with my
>> laptop that has win xp on it.  I played a bit with the settings you
>> suggest Alexander without much succes.
>
> If your samba machine is running continuously then set:
>
> local master = yes
> os level = 65
> preferred master = yes
>
> This way - after service smb restart - your Samba server should win
> master browser election against each Windows[tm] machine in you LAN. If
> you have more Samba machines you have to choose one machine to be local
> master and the others to be not. All options are commented inside
> smb.conf and in the Samba docs.
>
> Alexander

Is this why I keep having a problem browsing my network from my xp
machines? I have a linux box, 2 xp boxes and an ibook. 1 of my xp machines
is setup with internet connection sharing so it's running as a dhcp server.
Every time I try to browse my network from my xp machines it gives me an
error and says the workgroup is not accessable. However, if i type in \\smb
name it will show me the shares on the computer I want to see. I'm still
puzzled.