apt-get gone crazy?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Wed Mar 10 21:29:20 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 14:52, Gerry Doris wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Ben Stringer wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 13:42, Gerry Doris wrote:
> > > I have up2date, yum and apt installed.  up2date and yum are working fine.
> > > apt-get was also working a short time ago but it seems to have gone off
> > > the rails lately.
> > >
> > > When I try and run "apt-get upgrade" it wants to remove every single
> > > package on my PC.
> >
> > Does it want to replace them all with new packages?
>
> No.  It just wants to remove all 847 packages and update none.  In other
> words, erase my disk!

Uhhuh, that sounds <cough> rather odd. What repositories have you
defined in your sources.list? Another thing - have you done any --nodeps
install/upgrade/remove operations directly with rpm? It certainly
shouldn't want to remove each and every package but correct the missing
one instead in that case...

Feel free to mail me (privately since it's going to be BIG) the output
of that with "-o debug::pkgproblemresolver=1" option set, that'll make
it much much easier to see what's going on.

	- Panu -