Gnome-Panel Main Menu Launcher Freezes

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 10 21:42:50 UTC 2004

Bill Spears wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 09:36, Bill Spears wrote:
>
>>The Problem:
>>When I click the main menu launcher in the gnome-panel, gnome-panel
>>segfaults, without launching.  The panel disappears and is redrawn.
>>Only one user is affected by this, so it must be a munged configuration
>>file.  I tried deleting a bunch of .gnome*, which didn't help and I
>>copied the same bunch from another user which did help some.  But I
>>still have the freezing problem.
>>
>>Could someone tell me what files I need to fix or  replace?
>>(Fedora 1)
>>--
>

> OK, let me try something else.  Does anybody know what list I should
> post this on in order to put it in front of knowledgeable gnome-panel
> people?

You might try checking Gnome's archives or posting a message on one of

Another option is to delete the affected user and recreating him or her.
First, make note of the UID, GID and home directory of the user.  Then
use:

     userdel username

do NOT use the "-r" option (which would delete their home directory).
Then:

     useradd -u old-user-ID -g old-group-ID -d old-directory username

That should recreate the gnome stuff for the user and retain their old
directory.
-      A day for firm decisions!!!   Well, then again, maybe not!    -