Netstat -nr Problem

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Thu Mar 11 00:47:15 UTC 2004

Christopher K. Johnson wrote:

> Or alternatively you can configure the route in an route-eth0 file
> within the network-scripts directory instead of as a GATEWAY= setting in
> the ifcfg-eth0 file, and the route specified in route-eth0 is not
> applied to aliases.

I configure my gateway in the following manner, and have never had a
problem with sub-interfaces picking it up multiple times:

/etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=saladin
GATEWAY=10.0.0.254

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*
NO GATEWAY entry

IMO this is more technically correct, as the default gateway is a
system-wide setting, not an interface-dependant setting.