MS Intellimice optical 'shutting down' anyone?

Tommy McNeely Tommy.McNeely at Sun.com
Thu Mar 11 17:21:20 UTC 2004

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 23:31:03 -0400, Ben Steeves wrote:
> This was happening to me once in a while with a particular USB hub.
> Usually unplugging/plugging in the mouse would fix it.  I replaced the
> hub and haven't had the problem since.  Interestingly enough, the hub I
> replaced was powered, the replacement was unpowered.  I don't think
> there's a connection, though.
>
> Ben
> --
> Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
>  The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
>    against HTML e-mail          X                GPG ID: 0xB3EBF1D9
> http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves

I have the same problem.. Mine is also fixed by unplugging/replugging the
mouse.. although I suggest using USB for that, I don't think PC's really
enjoy their PS2 ports being futzed with while they are on.  I had to
switch to USB a long time ago because of interrupt shortages, but
apparently I have more in my new computer. Well ok.. in FC1, it was 32,
but now (FC2t1) apparently its some obscene number like 256? must be a
linux 2.6 thing?

Anyhow, I suggest moving it to USB.. then you can essentially remove and
re-install the mouse by hot-plugging it (don't do this if you are burning
a CD, I think it causes the CD burn to fail.. it used to).

I am as well using the nvidia driver, but can't really use the nv driver
without 3D acceleration or TwinView.. mostly I find it "asleep" when I
come back from being gone all night which made me think it was a power
management issue. It does, however, sometimes fail while I am using it..
but I switch back and forth (el-cheapo USB KVM) between a Sunray, so its
constantly getting re-init'd during the day.

Tommy McNeely