Downgrading from RHEL

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 11 20:05:15 UTC 2004

This discussion should really be on the Taroon-list (and already has been
discussed).

Andre Costa said:
> One possible scenario is, despite losing RHN, still being able to
> maintain the system through public RHEL SRPM sites -- which should be ok
> for usual package updates, but could be a problem for major version
> upgrades (like RHEL 3.0 to RHEL3.x or 4.0).

You pay for (and the service agreement is for) the support.  After your
support runs out you are free to do what you want with the software as
long as you don't a) violate Red Hat's Trademarks or b) violate the
license of the software package (be it GPL, BSD, Apache, etc.).

This plan also relies on RH to continue providing their software as SRPMs
for free on their mirrors.  I'm not saying that they will change their
mind, but you should understand that they are under no obligation to do
this.  A more realistic plan would look at the effort required to backport
fixes or upgrade the software as the maintainers release new versions.

--
William Hooper