Downgrading from RHEL

Tom Ryan tomryan at camlaw.rutgers.edu
Thu Mar 11 21:11:31 UTC 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Andre Costa wrote:

> I guess I will go with Tom on this one: I believe the license is
> referring to RHN on this specific clause. You two have just hit the
> point: this is the exact reason why I started this thread -- to know
> what happens to an installed RHEL server once the license expires from
> the perspective of the system maintainer.
>
> One possible scenario is, despite losing RHN, still being able to
> maintain the system through public RHEL SRPM sites -- which should be ok
> for usual package updates, but could be a problem for major version
> upgrades (like RHEL 3.0 to RHEL3.x or 4.0).
>
> The other possible scenario is that it is not feasible (either legally
> or practically) to maintain a 'rogue' RHEL installation, and ceasing to
> pay the license would mean a full reinstall. This would be a no-go.

Thats a good question.. from their license, you grant them the right to
allow them to audit you for 1 year after you end your license..

I would suspect that as long as you only install 1 system using the iso
image provided via your subscription within the 2 year period (i.e.
subscribe for 1 year, cancel, wait 1 year).. you would be fine to
discontinue and manually upgrade your system by downloading and
recompiling the SRPMS..

after the 2 year period is over, RHN's agreement seems to lose a few teeth
in how they would enforce you from using the iso to install on a 2nd
system and download and compile the SRPMS for updates..

again, I am not advocating anything illegal AND I am not a lawyer (no
acroynms to confuse anyone)..

Tom

> Any other opinions/experiences out there?
>
> Best,
>
> Andre

Tom Ryan                                            Voice: 856-225-6361
Consulting System Administrator                       Fax: 856-969-7900
Rutgers School of Law - Camden