trying to install Linux

karlh karlh at concentric.net
Sat Mar 13 00:24:54 UTC 2004

On Friday 12 March 2004 13:15, Donald_Sass at gov.nt.ca wrote:
> Hi.......I am new to Linux (I know very little) and I am trying to
> install it to see how it works. Things are not going smoothly and I need
> some assistance.

 This is what worked for me:

1. I was running RH 9.0 and was happy with the partitions used with it. So, I
was aiming at installing FC1 as an "upgrade" rather than a "new install".
The relevance of that here is that I could put the FC1 isos in a directory in
/mnt and they not be removed or damaged by the installation process.

If doing a "new install", this method probably should not be used (though
a partition which won't be used by FC1 could be the hd location of the isos
during the installation by this method).

Check the integrity of the isos with md5sum.  When I did I found that
my burner (on another machine) had messed up disc3.  A re-burn fixed the
problem.  Better now than during the installation :).

2.  I created  the directory /mnt/FC1 with mkdir. I moved the three isos
into this directory.

3. I put a formatted floppy in the A: drive.  My floppy (fd0) was already
mounted.  Then I mounted the first iso (disc1) to use it to create a boot
disk on that floppy.  The command to mount the iso is:
mount -o loop -t iso9660 yarrow-i386-disc1.iso /mnt/FC1

4. Then, to make the boot floppy:
dd if=/mnt/FC1/images/bootdisk.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

5. After the bootdisk.img is copied to the floppy, unmount the iso with:
umount /mnt/FC1

6. Reboot with the floppy in the drive, and answer the questions asked.
Choose Hard Drive (rather than CDROM or Network) and list the directory
/mnt/FC1 when asked for the path to the installation isos.

 Karl L