vsftpd issue

Michael Lavallee michael75l at sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 13 00:30:48 UTC 2004

I'm encounting a curious issue with vsftpd.  If a user connects using
Internet Explorer under Windows, they can see the directories and
download files.  Mozilla can publish web sites with out a problem.  But,
if I connect using the command-line ftp client from Windows or Linux, or
even with gFTP, it just hangs when I try and list (ls) the directories.

But this happens only remotely.  I tried it from a few Windows machines,
as well as from another Linux box, outside of my network (over
Internet).  When I'm inside my network, it works fine.

I have a firewall setup, but port 21 is open.  Any ideas?

Michael.