Why FC-2?

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Sat Mar 13 14:26:14 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 10:10, Robert Middleswarth wrote:

> Reread the message he didn't say backing up the /etc was bad but that
> tring to figuire out with of the hundreds of files in etc that are
> import was the problem.  I know been there before.

The reason you always keep a backup of an old /etc is so, after
re-installation, you can refer back to old config files.  Dropping the
old /etc over the new would be suicidal, of course, so no one does
that.

Speaking entirely for myself, we have Solaris boxes at work that have
been upgraded half a dozen (or more) times (we even have some venerable
servers that are nearing 10 years old and have been upgraded multiple
times).  There's a lot of cruft on those machines that is un-necessary,
legacy, reflects the policies of administrators who didn't last as long
as the machines, etc.  A clean install might take more time than an
upgrade, but it leaves your system cleaner and your sysadmins saner.  At
least IMHO.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves