stability of fedora for server application?

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Mar 13 16:33:38 UTC 2004

Dexter Ang wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 00:01, shane c branch wrote:
>

>>I currently have RH9 running on one of my servers at work. Now that the
>>RH project has ended and Fedora has taken its place, I'm considering
>>either upgrading or reinstalling that box with Fedora.
>>
>>However, I'm concerned if Fedora will be stable enough for the server. I
>>would move to RHEL, but my dept isn't too keen on spending money at this
>>  point, which also has me considering going to Debian, as it has a
>>reputation for stability.
>>
>>Any opinions appreciated.
>>

>This would all depend on what you need. As for me, I am running Fedora
>Core 1 on our server without an problems so far. It's running the
>following services:
>- DNS
>- DHCP Server
>- Samba File Server
>- SMTP and POP3
>- MySQL, Apache, PHP for Groupware
>- iptables for firewall and NAT.
>Hardware it's running on is generic stuff. No name brand servers here.
>With 3 IDE 40gb HDD configured as RAID5 array. We're cheap. But it runs
>great. Of course, load is hardly ever maximized (maybe 50% at most).
>Again, stability, I guess, would depend on what you use the server for.
>Generally, Fedora is stable enough as a server. But I hear it's a pain
>for SMP machines.
>
>dex

SMP on a minimum install is fine.. Something on a desktop or workstation
install is not happy with the FC SMP kernels..

On my Desktop I solved the SMP problem by building a kernel using the
standard kernel.org source and the FC .config file.. So far (about a
month now) I haven't had a single hickup on the SMP kernel.. :)

Later..