XP/FC1 on Dell Inpiron 5150

Sat Mar 13 23:14:46 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 17:03, Pierre De Boeck wrote:
> 	Hi all,
>
> I installed FC1 and XP on my i5150, with
> GRUB as the boot loader on the MBR.
>
> When I boot FC1, I have a few problems:
>
> - the display and /or frequency refresh that I selected
> (Dell laptop 1600*1200 and default H/V refresh) was not
> the rigth one since the screen is blurry.
>
> - when I forced the system to boot in "console mode" with
> vga=ask, the system hangs, complaining on insmod with floppy.o.
> AS my system has no floppy, it seems that this causes a problem
> to some module loading.
>
> How can I fix these 2 problems?

Pierre,

For the first problem, here is the relevant display section from my
/etc/XF86Config:

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "Dell 1600x1200 Laptop Display Panel"
	HorizSync    31.5 - 90.0
	VertRefresh  59.0 - 85.0
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection

If you can boot into text mode, as 'root', edit this file and be sure
that the above is what you have. The above is the default for the 1600 x
1200 Dell UXGA display. Be sure that this is in fact the display that
you have.

For the second problem put:

alias floppy off

in /etc/modules.conf

That should take care of the floppy issue, which I had as well.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz