Various questions (mostly FTP)

Jwp live4bacon at optonline.net
Sun Mar 14 00:44:41 UTC 2004

> Are you testing the FTP server or your ISP, or the remote system and
> his ISP?
>
> If you are testing the ISP you need to test it from an external box
> with more bandwidth than you have.
>
> There are also some test sites out there.  Google search to find one
> and after you dispatch the popups you can get some basic numbers with
> a couple clicks.  For example....
>
>   http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

I am more interested in taking a look at what speeds each individual
connection to my ftp server is getting.  IE john and jane are downloading
how fast am I pushing to john and how fast am I pushing to jane?

My total upstream is around 100 KB/sec.  I am a Windows convert and the
programs I used to host FTP always had a nice little screen showing the
various connections and the speeds those connections are running, in
real-time as opposed to checking the logs after the fact.

Thanks,
JP