FC1 2 3 RH9 10 MDK 6 7 8 9

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Sun Mar 14 05:10:26 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 06:43, William Hooper wrote:
> Chadley Wilson said:
> > Look I am not trying to be snotty :->
>
> Yes you are.  You have provided absolutely no useful information.  We can
> even tell if there really is a problem, let alone try to help you fix the
> problem.  In short, more noise on an already noise filled mailing list.
> If your goal is to just complain, please let us know so that those that
> don't want to hear it can killfile you.
>
> > I just cant believe that everthing
> > that is available for linux must have dependencies, If the M$ freaks can
> > get programs to install with install shields then why cant we do it in
> > Linux.
>
> The sooner you realize that Linux isn't Microsoft Windows the happier you
> will be.  Not only are they two completely different operating systems,
> they are built on two completely different design philosophies.  Unix-like
> systems are generally built on the idea that programs should do one thing
> and do it well.  Microsoft systems are generally built on the "kitchen
> sink" (one program does it all) approach.  When code is being reused (as
> in the Unix-like system) you have dependencies (you have to know how the
> library or external program will react).  When you throw everything in you
> don't care as much because you are bringing along your own baggage (even
> if another program does the same thing in a similar way).
>
> --
> William Hooper

Ok Ok!
I am irritable right now I still cant get this up2date story working, I
struggle with command line stuff, I am by no means a programmer. I would
like to get my linux system to do simple things, at least simple to me.

Here is my list of snags, lets see if we can sort them out one by one.

1. Up2date hangs when reading headers
2. My kernel needs upgrading to install a USB printer.
3. I have a USB modem that is provided with a Linux driver but I also
need to upgrade my kernel for that
4. I would like to install a DJ Mixer for XMMS or a media library so
that I can search for a song in my digital audio list and queue it in
the main playlist of XMMS
5. I need to install some rave special effect software that requires QT
1.4. I am busy compiling [its been going since 3am]
5. I need to be able to rip mp3s @ 196kbit sample rate in ten minutes. I
normally rip peoples CDs at gigs straight to the hard drive while they
wait. this prevents CDs disappearing and getting damaged, and even
mixed. Parties get quite wild after everyones had a few you know.

6. The problem I have is that most of the stuff I am looking for isn't
available in rpm format. and isn't in the repositories.

So how do we continue?

Chad