up2date

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Mar 15 00:36:26 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 15.03.2004 schrieb Troy Bishop um 00:57:
> On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 11:36, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am So, den 14.03.2004 schrieb Pierre De Boeck um 18:05:
> > > 	Hi all,
> > >
> > > I just have installed FC1 and I can run only in level 3 for the moment.
> > > What I want is to perform a complete up2date (including kernel and
> > > kernel-source)
> > > but I would like to know the right procedure to do that from the CLI, namely
> > > what up2date options I shoud use?
> >
> > up2date-nox -u
> >  --> for normal update process
> >
> > up2date-nox -i -f kernel kernel-source
> >  --> forcing installation of newer kernel image and kernel source
> >
> > Alexander
>
> What would be the way to properly run up2date to get the kernel and
> kernel-source updated without losing my nvidia network card settings???
> I loaded them using the bottom command above but did not get
> satisfactory results... perhaps i will try uninstalling them and retry
> using up2date gui.
>
> Troy

Troy,

as the NVidia driver is a kernel space module the driver has to _always
fit the running kernel_. Independent on how you upgrade your kernel, you
will always have to rebuild the NVidia graphics driver module (kernel
upgrade here means changed source!).

I hope this answers your question, even it satisfies you not. From my
experience it is quickly done: 2 command runs with ~ 2 minutes.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 01:32:34 up 6 days, 1:51, load average: 0.33, 0.23, 0.19
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]