Help with setting up email

Andrew Cocker andrew at cocker.id.au
Mon Mar 15 06:55:02 UTC 2004

Hi
I am confused and don't know how to set up mail so it works the way I want I
to.

I have a registered domain myname at id.au.  It is configured so that all mail
sent to *.myname.id.au is directed to my ISP where I currently retrieve it
using Outlook on  Windows PCs via my Linux (FC1) server providing NAT.  I
have a 'permanent' ADSL connection but a dynamic IP address; therefore I do
not have a fully qualified internet hostname.

I want to use Linux to retrieve all mail sent to my ISP and sort it in to
various folder in var/spool/mail based upon the address; name1 at myname.id.au,
name2 at myname.id.au etc.  Members of my family will respectively retrieve
using POP3 and Outlook from various PCs on my home LAN.

POP3 is working OK and retrieves from the right folder in /var/spool/mail
and Fetchmail works OK but will not actually download because 'nothing is
listening on the port'.  I am confused about what I need to be running to be
listening to Fetchmail and receive the mail so it can be sorted, presumably
by procmail.  Postfix won't run without a fully qualified domain name and I
don't have one.  How do I collect the output from fetchmail and sort into
mail spools.  Note I don't really want to be using Linux to send mail, just
retrieve it.

Regards
Andrew