mplayer win32codecs for playing windows media files.

Anthony D Davis esai at comporium.net
Mon Mar 15 07:42:17 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 22:04, Anthony D Davis wrote:
> When I install the win32codec files into /usr/lib/win32
> from  http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/
> I can play windows media with Totem sound and video but when it comes to
> streaming format as on the web site:http://www.zdnet.com/
> (Listening to face to face) using mplayer I get sound and video for a
> few seconds then nothing? If I delete the codec files I get only sound
> but no video but at least I can hear the full conversation with no
> video. I want full video and sound streaming. Anyone out there know this
> problem? I can hear Darl McBride but I want to see him squirm! ;)
>
> --
> Anthony D. Davis <esai at comporium.net>

I hate to say that I answered my own question but I did. I have
win32codecs.tar.bz2 that I did the command:
"bzip2 -df win32codecs.tar.bz2"  to turn it into win32codecs.tar
then I did "tar -xvf win32codecs.tar" to uncompress it, and then I did a
"mkdir /usr/lib/win32" and after it made a win32codecs directory I then
looked for wmvdmod.dll and did a "cd wincodecs"
once in that dir I did "mv wmvdmod.dll /usr/lib/win32". It now is
playing Windows Media like a champ! I got my file from:
 http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/
Latest Win32 codecpack
Im not going to install all of the codecs yet im going to install them
as needed. It seems some may conflict?

Thanks and sorry I bothered the list it was kinda off topic. It is part
configuring Fedora.

--
Anthony D. Davis <esai at comporium.net>