Simultanous Sounds?

Wolfgang wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Mon Mar 15 14:10:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 00:52, Mark Limburg wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 00:13, Wolfgang wrote:
> > > Any ideas on how to have two (or more) applications be able to play
> > > sounds at the same time?  When I have XMMS playing Internet radio, I
> > > can't get system sounds, effects in Frozen Bubble or UT/Q3A, etc.  I've
> > > tried other variations also .. all with no success.  Another example
> > > I've seen is my 'new mail' sound has rung out just as I'm starting to
> > > play Chromium, and Chromium didn't have any sound.  I quit it, started
> > > it again, and it was there.
> > >
> > > What sound daemon should I be using, esound, OSS, ALSA .. and how do I
> > > set these up?  And links to web pages to help?
>
> > What Sound card are you using???
> >
> > I have a Creative Audigy, and it works fine for me. I hear all the
> > system sounds, even when I play UT2K4-Demo etc. It may be, that the
> > sound card is limited in the number of simultaneous sounds it can
> > produce (or it's an old 16Bit card). The Audigy can play 32 sounds at
> > once.
>
> Running the onboard sound from an ASUS nForce2 mobo.  Very very nice
> sound on the XP side of the fence ... so I doubt that's the specific
> issue.
>
> I have managed to get *some* of it working .. I've configured XMMS to
> use esd and now it's playing nice.  Well, mostly .. if I run XMMS and
> play Frozen Bubble, then it's all good .. if I run XMMS and play UT (not
> UT2004 mind), then it's back to a silent game.
>
> .mwl

Hmmm... Just for the hell of it, I started up XMMS (lowering the volume
a little so I can hear the other sounds). And then ran UT2K4-Demo, and
then Duke-3D-Plutonium and all sounds worked as they do, without XMMS
running.

It maybe some limitation, on the onboard sound card, who knows.

All XMMS settings are the installed defaults. And I'm using the Audigy
std FC1 drivers.

Wolf