mplayer win32codecs for playing windows media files.

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Mon Mar 15 14:47:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 15:42, Anthony D Davis wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 22:04, Anthony D Davis wrote:
> > When I install the win32codec files into /usr/lib/win32
> > from  http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/
> > I can play windows media with Totem sound and video but when it comes to
> > streaming format as on the web site:http://www.zdnet.com/
> > (Listening to face to face) using mplayer I get sound and video for a
> > few seconds then nothing? If I delete the codec files I get only sound
> > but no video but at least I can hear the full conversation with no
> > video. I want full video and sound streaming. Anyone out there know this
> > problem? I can hear Darl McBride but I want to see him squirm! ;)
> >
> > --
> > Anthony D. Davis <esai at comporium.net>
> >
> I hate to say that I answered my own question but I did. I have
> win32codecs.tar.bz2 that I did the command:
> "bzip2 -df win32codecs.tar.bz2"  to turn it into win32codecs.tar
> then I did "tar -xvf win32codecs.tar" to uncompress it, and then I did a
> "mkdir /usr/lib/win32" and after it made a win32codecs directory I then
> looked for wmvdmod.dll and did a "cd wincodecs"
> once in that dir I did "mv wmvdmod.dll /usr/lib/win32". It now is
> playing Windows Media like a champ! I got my file from:
>  http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/
> Latest Win32 codecpack
> Im not going to install all of the codecs yet im going to install them
> as needed. It seems some may conflict?
>
> Thanks and sorry I bothered the list it was kinda off topic. It is part
> configuring Fedora.

you could have also gone to www.mplayerhq.hu, gone to the link that says
"Download", gone to the link that has Red Hat RPMS, then downloaded the
rpm form of the codecs. There are multiple (for qt, real, wmv, etc),
which means you can also install "as needed". This way you can use rpm
for a subjectively "cleaner" installation of the codecs, rather than
relying on tarballs. =)

http://ftp.icm.edu.pl/pub/linux/mplayer-rpms/mplayer.html

dex