I have an error in my fstab but I cannot see it...

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Mon Mar 15 18:07:44 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-03-15 01:15, Coume - Lubox.com whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

>On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 12:27, Thomas Munck Steenholdt wrote:
>

>>>/dev/sda	/mnt/flash	vfat	user,rw		O O
>>>/dev/sda1	/mnt/iriver	vfat	noauto,user,rw	0 0
>>>

>>Oh yeah, that should do strange stuff...
>>You're mounting the entire disk (sda) on /mnt/flash (which would probably
>>fail since it's not likely to look like a valid vfat device)
>>Even if it for some reason does NOT fail the next one probably will
>>
>>In either case - nothing useful can com out of this!
>>
>>sda == entire disk
>>sda1 == first partition on the disk
>>
>>/Thomas
>>

>In fact I have to use /dev/sda when mounting my usbkey a PQI 256Mo
>USB2.0
>If I try to mount in under /dev/sda1 or whatever else i will not work...
>It took several days to understand that to mount this usbkey I had to
>use /dev/sda , don't ask me why I have no clue, but it works ;)
>
>Regards,
>Ludo

It's been a *long* time ago since I really knew MS-DOS, but I seem to
remember that it was perfectly valid for a FAT file system to exist on a
disk which had *NO* partitions defined.  (Floppies, for instance, are
usually not partitioned, although I think it's possible to do so, by
using hexedit on the MBR.)   This is all a leftover from the days before
partition tables were invented.  But in the interest of "backwards
compatibility" (and also so as not to have to handle floppies as a
"special case") I suspect it still works that way.

With the usbkey mounted, you might try the command "fdisk -l" to see
what it reports about the partitions, if any.

--
Fritz Whittington
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ...