see replacement monitor

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Mar 16 02:32:13 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 16.03.2004 schrieb fe dora um 03:03:
> How do I get Fedora to see replacement monitor?
>
> This evening my Mitsubishi 17FS monitor expired. The
> only temp monitor I have is a Packard Bell Model
> PB2160
>
> On boot, everything runs OK, I see the normal script
> as Fedora loads, and just when normally the gui loads,
> the screen blacks out, while the machine runs fine. As
> I imagine the logon and password prompt (but cannot
> see at this point) I can type in name / pwd, and hear
> the machine activity, as it normally would.
>
> Q: How can I force the machine (Fedora-core 1) to
> recognize the replacement monitor?
>
> Other info:
> mobo- Asus A7N8X-D
>
> many thanks in advance,
>
> Chris

After bootup press "Strg+Alt+F1" to switch from X mode into console 1,
then type "init 3". This stops the X server.

Now edit /etc/X11/XF86Config and change the monitor data. You need to
set the proper values for HorizSync and VertRefresh. If you have no data
sheet please use google to find them out. After done the change run
"init 5" and you should see X back again with wonderful colors.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 03:27:41 up 7 days, 3:46, load average: 0.05, 0.15, 0.16
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]